Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Final Project Thoughts

I am thinking about developing an online course for Mass Communications using Stanley Baron's book at the foundation. I have taught Introduction to Mass Communications for several years and my goal is to create an online version. The course is a survey course introducing students to the different media and their histories. I like to use online sources and tools such as YouTube for current, up-to-date media use in all mediums.

My course would be interactive and use collaborative tools including discussion boards, wikis, podcasts, vlogs, etc. I think as a professor, vlogs in an online course are very helpful.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like it would be a very interesting class, and the collaborative tools would probably help a lot of students. Not that it would be likely with students taking a Mass Communications class, but what if some of them aren't entirely comfortable with using some (or all) of those tools for whatever reason? How would you help them with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are ahead of me! I think it's bold to envision a course where these digital writing web 2.0 tools support the class--as opposed to being the focus of the class. I think if you did discussions in a Ning, you would find the ability to monitor how much students are contributing is easier. And putting discussion prompts on a ning might get around the problem Ashley noted above in which students might be less comfortable with the tools.

    ReplyDelete